BREASTFEEDING SUPPORT ORGANISATIONS.
Voluntary Breastfeeding Support Organisations:
these organisations train volunteer peer supporters and breastfeeding counsellors who provide free support by phone and in groups and in some cases through home visiting.
- The Association of Breastfeeding Mothers (includes a directory of support groups)
- Breastfeeding Network (includes information on medications and breastfeeding)
- La Leche League GB (LLLGB) is part of the international charity La Leche League International. LLLGB Leaders (volunteer breastfeeding counsellors) provide mother to mother support for all breastfeeding mums at every stage of their breastfeeding journey, via a helpline, through social media, online helpforms and face to face at local meetings. LLLGB believes that mothering through breastfeeding is the most natural and effective way of understanding and satisfying a baby's needs.
- National Childbirth Trust
Lactation Consultant Organisations:
- International Lactation Consultants Association (includes global directory of lactation consultants)
- Lactation Consultants of Great Britain (includes a UK directory of lactation consultants)
- National Breastfeeding Helpline (funded by the Dept of Health and run by the Association of Breastfeeding Mothers and Breastfeeding Network)
- La Leche League national helpline number available 24/7 365 days of the year
- UNICEF (supports breastfeeding through the Babyfriendly Initiative for staff working in hospitals, community healthcare settings and children's centres)